Saturday, January 15, 2011

Black Swan...


Last weekend I saw "Black Swan" with a friend and was blown away with craziness of it all  and how well it captured the descent into madness that the main character experienced during her quest for perfection. My friend enjoyed the movie as well, but later said that she couldn't relate to Nina's struggles and feelings because she had never experienced that overpowering need to be perfect. My feelings were quite the opposite; during several points in this film I became teary eyed because I had been there, struggled with that. There's a scene where Nina practices until she slips and her foot bleeds, several scenes where she scratches/picks at her skin, and her obsession with getting her part "perfect" and being perfect...man, I saw myself way too many times. Thankfully, I don't have the paranoia or hallucinations that Nina did! I don't think she realized that she was crazy until the end, and the last few scenes were pivotal to the whole movie...her wiping her tears and putting on her makeup to dance one final time (perfectly enough for a complete metamorphosis into her character) even after she realized what she had done....just wow. It could have been a better movie, but the last ten minutes or so were pure perfection. If Natalie Portman gets an Oscar for this role it will be a well deserved award, let me tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment